Know Your Rights As a Consumer
You Have Rights Against Debt Collection Harassment & Abuse!
Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA) was enacted by Congress on September 20, 1977, in order to delineate
the rights of consumers, as well establish guidelines in regards to collection
practices on the part of debt collectors. This act provides you with the
tools you need to regain your power and control. The law says that debt
collectors must treat you with truth, fairness, dignity and respect. Any
debt collector who doesn't work within these very clear guidelines
and abuses you while attempting to collect a consumer debt can be sued
in federal court for damages under this act. The FDCPA does not cover
the original creditor, but does apply to anyone who regularly collects
debts on behalf their clients, including collection agencies, debt buyers
who purchased your debt from the original creditor, and attorney law firms
who regularly collect debts. The following describes some of the all-too-common
illegal behaviors perpetrated on the consumer by abusive debt collectors:
- Calling your family, friends, neighbors or employers to collect a debt
- Constantly calling you
- Leaving abusive phone messages
- Insulting, yelling or swearing at you
- Calling your workplace after telling the collector not to call you there
- Lying, threatening, or otherwise harassing you in any way
- Threaten you with a lawsuit, or sale of your property unless they intend
to follow through on such acts.
- Threaten wage garnishment in Pennsylvania.
- Disclose your debt or imply you owe a debt to family members or co-workers.
Collectors can only make one phone call for location purposes only to
- Continue to call you after you informed them that you are represented by
For further information regarding your rights as a consumer, consult with a
Philadelphia debt collection defense lawyer today.
Stop Abusive Creditors in Pennsylvania!
I, Attorney Forbes, am an experienced Philadelphia debt collection defense
attorney who provides aggressive and focused help to victims of
debt collection abuse. I am available to provide you with immediate help in your abuse case,
and will do my utmost to increase the likelihood of you being free of
this abuse for good. If you are located in
Pennsylvania, I am available to help.
If you are being harassed by a creditor or debt collector, it is strongly
recommended that you
to learn more about your
rights as a consumer.